Monday, October 12, 2009

The Butthole Surfers in Madison Wisconsin. October 2009.

UPDATE: LISTEN TO THE SHOW!!
http://www.archive.org/details/BHS2009-10-06

No one wants to hear excuses. That is why the Butthole Surfers don't make excuses. They make music. Someone reading this might remember a little old song called Pepper that was a hit back in the late 90's. If that's all you've heard then you're missing out and should probably make an attempt at hearing some more of their tunes.

The set list was well chosen and the performance was nearly flawless. There were a few times I noticed the bass player must have forgotten to start playing but I can't complain because they were doing me a favor by touring anyway. I'll complain anyway because that's what the internet is for. I'll start with our dinner at Bunky's. I stopped one of the many men walking in our direction who resemble Jesus to ask if he had seen anywhere to get some decent food. He didn't but we kept walking that way because I'm an idiot. It started to rain a little so we dipped into a place across the street. The restaurant had a weird server and the decoration was ridiculous. I think someone robbed all the local grandmothers of Madison to furnish the place. Our server was either messing with us or she caught a contact buzz from the guys in the kitchen. The food was great but maybe not worth the money. Four falafel balls and a pita on shredded iceberg lettuce should not cost six dollars. You can't spell $6 Falafel without awful ... or afel... shut up, your jokes suck too! 

We got to the show and they were selling a beer called "Fat Squirrel". I like squirrels so I bought it and was happy drinking a 12 oz. cup for $4. I still have the cup! It turned out that I had met a member of the opening act before the show on the street. He was the guy I talked to who looks like Jesus. I won't say anything about the opening act except that they should have been playing a music festival outside for mostly naked acid freaks. 

The audience was typical for a show you would see in a basement so I was surprised that I didn't see the kind of weird-0 I was expecting. Circus freaks either were out of town or aren't fans. Maybe dancing isn't appropriate when they play the theme for The Price is Right but I didn't care. When that's looped for 20 minutes straight I dare anyone with a sense of rhythm not to shake it a little bit. Unlike other people who have seen their show I would not call it chaotic. It was pure awesome and fairly predictable. They played songs and people enjoyed it. The horror films projected behind them were full of graphic violence, head explosions and all that but I didn't pay much attention to that mess because I was 6 feet from the stage until the very end when I shoved my way up front when a guy got up on stage to dive off. I took his spot and protected it until the very end and used the position to help a guy steal the set list. I wish I had taken it for myself. That would have been cool for about a day and a half and would have gotten bored with it because that's frivolous fanaticism. Just kidding. It would be framed and be the center piece to the Butthole Surfers shrine in my drum beat lab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment